10 Tips for Beautiful Skin
Taking care of your skin does not have to be difficult or expensive. There are simple things you can do every day that will give you glowing skin.
10 Tips for Beautiful Skin:
- Drink water. I know that for some of us this can be a difficult task. Some people forget and some people just don’t like drinking water. I get it. I used to be there, but I have since become a believer in the power of water. When I started drinking more water I began getting compliments on how nice my skin looked, and I noticed a little glow myself. Try filling a water bottle with water before you leave home in the morning and keep it with you to sip on throughout the day. Other liquids & foods count too as long as they do not include caffeine or alcohol. Herbal teas, lettuce, melons, and soup all contain water. You could also try adding fruits, vegetables and herbs to your water to infuse it with flavor. Try lemons, limes, blueberries and cucumbers.
- Get a good night’s sleep. This one can be tough too because we live in a fast-paced, always going society. Even if you manage, by some miracle, to get to bed at a decent hour you toss and turn and wake up feeling like you never slept at all. Stay away from caffeine before going to bed. Make sure your bedroom is dark or wear a sleep mask. Your bedroom temperature should be between 65-68 degrees F. And make sure you have a good mattress and pillow. If you like herbal teas you could try drinking chamomile tea or Fortified Calming Tea from WelleCo before bed. Tuck sleep has some great resources on sleep if you’re looking for more information.
- Eat foods rich in antioxidants. Diets rich in fruits and vegetables have proven benefits for more than just your skin. They help keep all of your organs healthy which makes you feel better which, in turn, makes you look better. As an added bonus dark chocolate contains antioxidants. I keep dark chocolate in my pantry as well as dark chocolate powder to make hot drinking chocolate as a treat. Look for organic cacao without sugar added. I like and use Navitas Organics Cacao Powder, Dagoba Organic Chocolate, and Crio Brü. The Crio Brü is roasted and ground cocoa beans and you can brew it like coffee. One of my favorites is the Maya which has cinnamon, vanilla, and cayenne pepper.
- Wash your face daily. It’s important to wash your face at least once per day before bed to clean away accumulated dirt and makeup. If you have oily skin, a gel or foam cleanser works well. If you have dry skin, a creamy cleanser may work better. It is also important to exfoliate once or twice per week. Don’t over wash or over exfoliate because too much can cause more harm.
- Apply sunscreen EVERY DAY. I can’t say this enough. UV light can cause skin damage even on a cloudy day. The best way to protect your skin is to wear sunscreen every day. Also, it’s not enough to wear just your foundation, even if it has sunscreen in it. You are likely not applying enough foundation to get the right amount of sun protection. Apply sunscreen first then apply foundation.
- Don’t pick at pimples. I know this one is really tough but picking at pimples could cause scarring or infection. Apply an over-the-counter spot treatment that contains salicylic acid like Dermalogica Overnight Clearing Gel or benzoyl peroxide like Dermalogica Special Clearing Booster and/or wash with a cleanser that contains salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide like La Roche-Posay Effaclar Clarifying Solution.
- Move your body. Exercise increases blood flow which increases the amount of oxygen delivered to your skin. This will give you that glow you are looking for. You don’t have to run a marathon; walking is some of the best exercise you can do.
- Avoid long, hot showers. This is important if you have dry skin or suffer from eczema or rosacea. Long periods of exposure to hot water can dry out your skin and increase red flushing and visible blood vessels. I’m not saying you have to eliminate hot showers entirely. If hot showers bring you joy, don’t stop (I personally know someone who would be devastated if he couldn’t take hot showers). Maybe take a 10 minute hot shower instead of a 20 minute hot shower. My motto is everything in moderation
- Apply antioxidants to your skin. Applying products that contain vitamin C and E will help to build collagen and keep your skin smooth. I use Skinceuticals CE Ferulic but it is spendy so other options include The Glow Maker Serum from Maelove or C-Firma from Drunk Elephant.
- Keep it simple: We all live busy lives and I don’t know anyone who has the time or energy for a multi-step process every night. In the morning wash your face with a gentle cleanser, apply an antioxidant serum, moisturizer if you need it, and then apply sunscreen. To keep thinks even simpler, in the morning multi-task with a sunscreen that contains moisturizers like Drunk Elephant Umbra Sunscreen or Suntegrity 5-in-1 Natural Moisturizing Face Sunscreen; this saves time and money. Before you go to bed wash your face with a gentle cleanser, apply a retinoid, and then apply a moisturizer (if needed). It’s also important to remember to exfoliate one to two times per week to remove dead skin cells.
There you have it. 10 tips for beautiful skin. Simple, right?